Pages

Wednesday 10 February 2010

This potentially both sucks and blows

I know from what I read that myeloma is not genetic but that there may be a genetic susceptibility for the switch to be tripped by exposure to some toxins (possibly petrochemicals) ie, I get exposed and get myeloma but someone else doesn’t.

My Auntie En rang tonight to say that she’d had an x-ray that had shown up a collapsed vertebra and kind of a mass. It was like déjà vu. Plus some crumbly bones. They have said that her GP should start treatment for osteoporosis but wanted blood tests. Auntie En heard them discussing her age, she’s 83. The blood test envelope requested a myeloma scan. I don’t know whether this is routine for these symptoms at this age or not. No-one actually verbally mentioned myeloma to her but she’s as we would say ‘all there with her cough drops’ and read the envelope and obviously knew what myeloma was. The results will be in next week.

I can’t put into words how I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment